Monday, July 16, 2012

A Chest of Hopeful Things

Two days ago, I was putting a couple books back on my bookshelf.  I don't usually put books on shelves because then I forget about them and the purpose is defeated.  I was shoving everything around, trying to make room for leather bound Tennyson, when I found a book that caught my eye.  I took it out and put Sir Tennyson in it's place.  Reason #2 I never put books back, because then I get drawn in by another book.     

So this book I removed is titled "The Hope Chest, a legacy of love" by Rebekah Wilson.  I started skimming.  Two hours later my aching eyes told me time was up.  This book was so cool! 

It is my person belief that every girl should have a hope chest.  I'm all into the sacred singleness thing, you guys know that, but for the most part God has called us to marry and start a family for His glory.  A hope chest is filled with hopeful things for your future.  Let's face it, we all hope to get married, and our chests should be filled in preparation for that.  Things like dishes, linens, cookware, recipes, all that homemaking jazz.  And then other things like, keepsakes, pictures, books, journals, or even swords.  Anything you want to show your children to raise them up in faith, character and skill. 

I got some great ideas from this book to expand my own hope chest a bit.  My chest is my father's mother's, mother's, mother's, refinished by my dad's own hands and given to me for my 14th birthday.  It's mostly filled with books and memories, and a dish set that was on sale that I fell in love with, but that's about it.  Let's just say my domestic knitting/crocheting/embroidery skills are at level zero.  I was encouraged though, to go outside my comfort zone and try my hand at some simple embroidery and sewing.  Maybe a dresser runner or those little scented sachet thingies or something.  We'll see, but this book certainly gave me fresh inspiration and motivation to start filling my chest of hopeful things, as I hope this blog post has done for you.

Wow, I covered a rose topic, yeah!   

No comments:

Post a Comment