Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Important Gifts

    I spent a day over at Angela's a couple days ago.  It was great to catch up.  Come this spring she has agreed to teach me her gardening secrets.  We drank tea, and I told her some funny and sweet things Kevin would say about her when she wasn't there.  She told me her plans to redesign her whole place, and I forsee a lot of painting projects together come this spring.  I told her about my small stockpile of tools I've been squirrling away for when I have a place of my own.  She lept up, shot to her bedroom and brought me a couple of Kevin's favorite tools, including his personal hammer with his name carved inside it.  She said so I would always think of him when I was DIYing.
    I was so touched by such a special gift.  What a great legacy to pass on to those who loved you.  Anyone can inherit money, but a solid, honest tool, used constantly by it's owner to make useful, beautful things?  That is special, that is invaluable, and it's something I will treasure. 

On another note, is it just me, or is Valentine Day not been so in your face in the stores this year?  Or maybe I just haven't gotten out much this season (which may be the case)?  Either way, I totally forgot about it.  Usually I try to plan a girls night or something but, eh, the pink holiday has less and less sting for me now.  I honestly don't care, and not in a bitter way, in more like I-have-bigger-things-on-my-mind sort of way.  Though, if anyone wants to get me a puppy for Valentines Day, I won't complain.  Why is it socially encouraged to give chocolate and cut flowers as opposed to pets or livestock?  Food or vegitation doesn't even last long!  Maybe I should start a Valentines Day revolution, where giving shelter pets or practical things like snow shovels are the gifting norm (seriously, who doesn't need a shovel this time of year)?  

Well, that was a fun lttle rant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment