Friday, December 12, 2014

I'm Back

Hey guys!  I'm back!  I have a fuctioning electronic now so I can get back to writing.  I truly promise, I didn't want to write a sad post.  I really wanted to start back on a happy note, but life just has a way of throwing curveballs I guess. 

I found out last week a mentor of mine has passed away.  It was such a shock, I was just over at his house a couple weeks ago.  He wanted to teach me about Jerusalem artichokes, and by "teach" he meant "help me harvest these".  He picked me up at 7am in his hunk of junk car which I always poked fun at.  It was so cold that day.  He shoveled up the dirt in rows and I came behind, kneeling on the ground, sifting through the soil to find the vegetables.  Kevin was quite the talker and chatted on about the house he was building, and how I would help, and how much I would learn.  We talked about living off the grid and being self suffiient, and why it was so important to us.  We did a good bit of complaining about modern day society too.  After a couple hours he said "You know Victoria, you're pretty fun to have around! And everyone out there is running around trying to make money to buy this or that to be happy when we're here working in the dirt and having a great time."  

This is the guy who asked me what I wanted in a husband literally as I was kneeling in a pool of blood from a deer carcass we were skinning.  I barely knew him at the time, that was two years ago.  That was the kind of guy he was, direct, and he thought the best way to understand my values was to ask that.  Since then I've done a lot of work for him and Angela, his wife, and they've taught me so much about alternative living.  

I'll truly miss Kevin, he was such an out of the box thinker and creative genius.  It's been a little over a year since William's passing, and here I am again the same spot.  It's still hard, but at least I know what to expect this time.  

I know, sort of a bit of a downer, but this real, this is my life, and I promise the next time I have something fun or insightful to say, I'll write it here.  Until then, keep fighting. 

-Victoria 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry, Victoria. I pray you'll find comfort in Christ. It's wonderful to see your blog in my reader again (I've been secretly stalking you for a long, long time), but I wish it were not under such difficult circumstances.

    ReplyDelete