Monday, June 2, 2014

Water Walker

So right now, like right this second I am writing this, I am listening to Oceans by Hillsong for the first time ever.  This much hyped song is 9 minutes long, I will probably be able to write this whole blog post by the time it's over.  I heard the phase "and I will walk upon the water" and it reminded me of a something I was going to write on here a month ago but forgot.  Ted Dekker's newest book "Water Walker" was amazing!!  You should go read it.  Go.  Shoo.
Unless of course you don't like Dekker's writing style which would really be sad, because I have never read anything of his that it's good.

Ted Dekker is a little unorthodox in his stories and I like that.  Sometimes what he writes makes me uncomfortable, but that's what it's supposed to do.  Sometimes, elements of his stories are just downright weird, but I've never failed to be moved by one of his books.  Ever.  And I've read at least a dozen of his books.

Water Walker is a parable about forgiveness.  And not just Sunday school forgiveness, but real, hard, embrace-them-as-if-nothing-ever-happened forgiveness.  Throughout the book he uses a not so new metaphor in a fresh, dare I say "radical" way?  As usual, Ted puts his characters through hell and back weaving redemption in at the very end, making beauty from pain.

"Always remember you have been given the power to forgive any offense, and in so doing removing it from your awareness as far as the east is from the west.  True Vision is His gift, allowing you to see no blame, forgiveness is your truest purpose in this life.  Seventy times seven always leaving your old self in a watery grave and rising to find no fault.  That's grace, that's true baptism, and that's good news".      

Good stuff and even better when you have the emotional connection of a back story, so go ahead and take a read.  It's a short book, but a powerful one.  And yeah to Ted Dekker for always diving deeper into God and channeling that in his novels to create a vivid, convicting, compelling, and also entertaining read.

 "Know that you are loved my dear, know that you can and will rise above all your fears.  I now call you Water Walker.  Water Walker? Yes; you walked through the waters of fear didn't you?"   

No comments:

Post a Comment