Wednesday, April 18, 2012

*Title Too Long to Fit Here*

You know what?  God is amazing because this whole shield thing had been mulling in my little brain when I found this at Hobby Lobby.  
So I must confess, I was in a rare sentimental mood that day, and when I saw this I almost cried.  A shield, with a cross on it, made of metal, I mean, I knew it was a gift from God.  So I bought it and it was 50% off. Can I get an AMEN?  I brought it home and of course tweaked it because I can't just buy something and put it straight in my room without customizing it.  I just can't do it.  
Now comes the meaning of this post:
"How to Make More Elven the Shield God Gave You at Hobby Lobby"  

Cause you never know when you might need to know that.
First, get out your supplies, acrylic paint, brushes, paper towels etc.  I use Liquitex and FolkArt Acrylics because they are thick and creamy.  I like to use course haired round brushes, course haired because they make messy feathery strokes and round brushes because I dislike square brushes, they are just so....square. 

squirt the paint onto a paper plate and mix to get desired colors.  I went for this, greyish brown green color (yeah that's the artistic name) and a dull red that sort of look liked dried blood.  You know, cross, blood...shield, blood.  Anyways.....
Make sure to use dry brushes and twirl the brush around on a clean part of the plate so the edges of the brush are uneven and not globed with paint.  Lightly dance the brush over the surface.  I did the green on the edges and the studded nail parts to make it look more aged/mossy.  Like maybe you found it in an old forest where a battle took place a hundred years ago.  
While the paint is still wet, rub the paper towel over the area to blend and soften.  If the area is dry before you can paper towel it, dampen the paper towel.  
now for the cross in the center
And the finished product:
It is now hanging on my door, so even before you enter my epic elven room, you can get a feeling for how the room looks.  *sigh* Thank you God for my shield, and for being my Shield. 

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying reading your posts. I love what you've done with your sword from Hobby Lobby! I can't wait to see it in person. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Thanks Miss Tammy! I see you can comment now, I look forward to hearing your lovely thoughts on here more often.... ;)

    ReplyDelete