Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Broken Glass

I was listening to a song the other day, my sister's favorite song actually and a line in it goes "my life has been like broken glass".  I was folding laundry while listening to it and it started me thinking about broken glass, and the past, and mistakes.

I really don't like messing up, I really don't.  I mean, I'm a warrior, I'm supposed to be strong and I'm a lady, I'm supposed to be virtuous.  To me, making a mistake is like breaking glass, shattering my attempts to obtain righteousness.  Who forgot to preach the gospel to themselves this morning? *raises hand* ME!  Anyways, back to my point....

I am pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, if I thought that I wouldn't be posting it for all the internet to see.  So, let me ask two different questions that have the same answer.  What happens when you hold onto past mistakes?  What happens when you hold onto broken glass?  The answer to both questions is: you get hurt.  Beating yourself up about past failures is like squeezing a fistful of shattered glass.  You get the visual.  If you are in Christ, you are forgiven, no if, ands, or buts.  Your mistakes, failures, shortcoming, and sins are cast as far as the east is from the west, and not because you have punished yourself for it, but because Jesus took the punishment FOR you. 

I remembered the gospel

I gave God my broken glass so I couldn't hold it anymore

Cue, deep sigh of relief. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post, Victoria. I also do not like to fail in anything either, and sometimes that makes it so that I do not make any goals that are large enough that the possibility to fail is even there. Thank you for that song, also. I looked at it and it was very encouraging to me and captures what I sometimes go through perfectly.

    Thanks again.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete