Friday, January 18, 2013

An Expected Journey-The Pics

As much as I would love to continue my stories about Honduras in 3rd person, Tolkien style, it just wouldn't work to convey all I have to say about my trip, trust me, if it was possible, I'd do it.  So back to normal.  This is a post for pics.  

Us at the airport, I think we look pretty happy for people awake at 3 am
                                     
This lovely piece of machinery was awaiting to pick us up.  The Kia is a large 4 wheel drive vehicle that is capable of holding untold numbers of people crammed into every nook and dangling off any part.  See the back?  That's were I sat all the time, sitting and even standing in the bed is perfectly legal and extremely fun.  Sitting on top of those bars and roof are also accepted though I never did that.  We drove up some real mountains with this baby.  One day as we drove an hour up a mountain to church on a dried river bed used a s a road, we picked up about 40+ people along the way.  They were mostly church goers who were walking all the way, but also a hitch hiker or two.  It was packed, like packed back to back with stranger, face to face with strangers and clinging for dear life as the truck bottoms out in a crater on the road.  That's what we call "making a memory".

                                     
My sister Emily on the left with my friend Amanda on the right.  They both had these really obnoxious      sunglasses with bling on them that made them look very un-Honduran like.
Sayder, one of the kids who we all got very close with, thought it would be funny to try on Amanda's hip shades.
That's how Emily looked the entire two weeks, hair in messy bun, random bandanna, sunglasses, and camera to face.  

That's a village, probably about middle class.  We went up there to visit the last day of VBS.  After we helped the local pastor hand out treats, and presents with a Spanish track tucked inside to all the kids.  We learned later that those toys were the only Christmas they had.   
Inside the house of the pastor in Santa Theresa.  No electric, no water, with this being the sum of his family's possessions.  My dad and pastor (see family and friends page) ended up spending a night on that mountain wiring the church which was next door.  They also wired the pastors house.  The pastor and his church were estatic to have light and fans.  
You can't really beat the sunset on the mountain
Black mail photo, evidence that my pastor does really have emotions.  :D
Amanda surrounded by kids at the Children's Lighthouse.  They loved our Iphones and we would let hem play games on them.  
Coconuts picked fresh from the tree.  And there are really no age restrictions in Honduras, if you want to let your ten year old cut things up with a machete, no one thinks twice.  
Me (holding a baby, I CAN do those things) Micah 6 mo and my buddy Eric.  I have a slight weakness for little boys with cute smiles   
Pastor Wellington, Amanda and Emily in the back of the Kia.  
Yup, big bugs, seriously I would genuinely thank Jesus every night for mosquito net.  This one though, I did call my dad for, it's the first time I've called my dad to kill a spider in like a decade, but hey, it was the size of my hand.  
This is a pila, it's how I washed my clothes for two weeks.  I loved it, and I want one in my backyard now.  Basically, you fill up that trough thing with water and lay you clothes on that counter that resembles a washboard.  You scoop water from the tank onto your clothes and use a long fat cylindrical bar of soap to roll over your clothing.  Scrub.  Imagine your living in the 1800s.  Scrub.  Scoop more water to rinse and it all goes down the drain in the back of the counter.  Repeat for every article of clothing.  
Mom making platanos (fried bananas) over an open fire.  I loved the outdoor kitchen, and though I've made tortillas from scratch before at home on a griddle, there's nothing like making the dough from scratch, putting them in a tortilla press (which is surprisingly hard to get the hang of) and them slapping them on a huge pan over an open flame.  

And this is only scratching the surface of the pictures, but I wanted to spare you and I'm honestly to lazy to upload a gazillion pictures to Blogger.  And don't worry, there will be more posts on Honduras to come, I haven't even told you what we did yet!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment