Monday, May 28, 2012

Padawan Learner

Usually, I like old people as much as any young person does-sort of, but with a little impatience.  One day last week though, I sat in the car as my mom drove the elderly woman she works for to the doctors, I was meeting a friend nearby and so I had to go with them.  This woman is very old and has bad dementia.  I was listening to her talk and it was like a got a glimpse into her mind.  I know it was God messing with my head because everything was so vivid and clear, like it was my own life. 

I saw her life, as a little girl playing with her parents, as a teenager gussying herself up and going out with friends, becoming a young bride and mother.  All things I have done or hope to do.  Now with the weight of decades in her heart, looking at the world around her, with cell phones, Ipods, and fancy cars.  So much has changed, it's not really her world any more.  How did things get here? The rush of images and emotions staggered me.  I felt so small and so fresh.  I've known I was young, but I always saw myself as a warrior that's seen her fair share of battles, but compared to the struggles of an entire lifetime, I'm green.  I sort of feel like a Padawan learner just becoming a Jedi.  I may be a Jedi and Yoda may be a Jedi but that doesn't mean anything.  I have a long way to go.  And I have a lot to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post. I know only a very little about Star Wars, but I get what you're saying. So wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone, if they are honest, can say that they thought they "knew it all" when they were your age. Call it arrogance, or maybe it's just youth and immaturity. As we grow older, we realize how little we really do know. I am always learning. It's a process, and it never stops until we reach our eternal home. We all have so much to learn. :o)

    ReplyDelete