Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Chaos of Chaos Walking

The only (fictionl) book I've ever started reading and left unfinished is Game of Thrones: Song of Fire and Ice.  I got it soon after it first came out so it didn't have the huge fanbase or tv series for me to look at for info on it.  I think I made it to chapter 2?  I can take some violence and I can take some cussing, but I draw a line (like every sane person should), at incet.  

I recently just stoped reading the chaos walking trilogy.  
"So I guess you don't like it anymore?" -Amanda
Hahahaha, that's cute, as if the depths of feeling in a fangirl's world are that easy to navigate.  
I must be emotionally/mentally unstable because these are good books, they are not however, happy books.  Sometimes the best stories though, are the ones fraught with sadness and hardship only to end happy(ish).  Maybe this trilogy will end that way.  But I can't make it that far.  I love my book characters, and you're allowed to kill off one of two important side characters or even one beloved main character to produce the nessasary emotional trauma to capture the fangirl's heart forever.  There is however, a line of trauma an author shouldn't cross.  The Knife of Never Letting Go and the Ask And The Answer cross that line.  The first book sucker punches you with the death of two characters, plus a whole bunch of other misfortune and then a cliffhanger.  In the second book nothing, NOTHING good/hopeful/non traumatizing happens to the much loved characters.

  I've read my share of gritty books, but this is a series I wil not be finishing, or at least not in the near future.  I guess I'm a bit tender from life right now as I'm surprised at myself for being adversly affected to a book of all things.  Oh well.  The last few days in desparation for a book, I'm rereading Men of Iron whch I haven't read in 6 years.  I'm understanding now why I've never reread it before as it's pretty dull and cliche, but it's familiar and I really have nothing else to read.  

Oh the (mostly over mellowdramatic) problems of a fangirl.  

PS I'm going to get a puppy in 6 weeks so a much needed ray of sunshine will soon be entering my life 

1 comment: