Friday, April 18, 2014

Not A Fairy Tale (Even Though Fairy Tales Are Fun)

While packing, I finally found a book that I've been searching for!  Its a children' book that I hope to read to my kids someday.  It's called, "This Is No Fairy tale", it's an out of print book about the story of Jesus and a pretty rock solid  gospel presentation for kids. It kinda goes like this:
If this was a fairy tale Jesus's parents would have been royalty and given birth to him in a palace, the news of his birth spreads far and wide and many come to worship him.
But this isn't a fairy tale. 
Jesus was born in a barn and few came to adore him.  

Except that is my paraphrase and the actually writing is way better. And so on it goes through Jesus's life, death and resurrection, painting a contrast between fairy stories and the hard but beautiful reality of what actually happened, and what that means for us.  

I seriously love this book, and I don't need children to just read it for myself.  It's simple, it's true, and nothing refreshes you like the simple truth.  The older I get, the more I lose my stomach for hard core debates and deep theological arguments.  I've been there, and maybe I'm going soft, but the farther I walk down this road, I feel like a lot of of those little things aren't worth arguing over.  The more I hear the story of salvation, the more I drink in of it, the more I absorb, leaving little enough room for minor details.  The more I hear the simple story, the deeper it dives, the farther I see I have yet to go, the less I want to go on bunny trails.  Oh yeah, there's a hymn for that.

I need no other argument, I need no other plea.  
It is enough that Jesus died and that He died for me.  

You bet's it's enough, it is PLENTY.  Certainly enough for me to chew on for the rest of my life and still not fully understand.  So yeah, I'm sticking with the gospel that's not a fairy tale and work on that for a while.  

No comments:

Post a Comment