Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hold My Rope

On my internship, I got to go rock climbing! It was an amazing experience, but it was really hard for me in the beginning. Not only did I have to trust the person on the ground holding my rope with my life, but I was also afraid of heights. Wow, I remember getting to the top and running into two difficulties. Number one difficulty: I looked down. I gasped for breath as I viewed the ground 30 feet below. It was a good thing I hadn't eaten lunch yet or I might have lost it. Difficulty number two: I had to actually let go. In order to get down once you reach the top, you have to release the wall you have just killed yourself getting up. You then hope the person holding your rope is holding tight or you're toast, or more like pancake.

Even though the person on the ground with my life in their hands says "fall away!" I don't fall immediately. The person looks up at me and says "Go ahead, I've gotcha," and yet I still don't let go. I can just see the two opponents sword fighting behind my eyes. One wanting to flip out and have an emotional breakdown and the other wanting to let go of the wall and make it down to the ground again. Thanks goodness for prayer, or I would probably still be up on that wall right now.

Moral of the story? Don't be a control freak, afraid to trust others. Sometimes, it is impossible to be in control of a situation, no matter how hard you try. At that point you need to let go and accept the sensation of falling, trusting the One holding your rope.

And don't wait til your 30 feet in the air hanging by a rope harness before you figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment