Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Miserable Ones

Yesterday, I went with my mom and sister to go see Les Miserables at the movies.  I don't normally do media reviews on my blog, but it was a movie of a sword type theme, with lots and lots of grace.  So it fits my blog.  This is the first movie I've seen in which I didn't read the book first.  So maybe this review will be tacky because I'm not nearly an authority on it, but since when has tackiness ever stopped me from doing anything?

Few may know this but I've always been fascinated by the French Revolution and it's time period.  I've read many a book on it, so that was honestly the only reason I went to go see this tear-jerker drama, play thing, that and because I like on screen singing with no lip syncing.

The ultimate message I took away from the movie is :   But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. Romans 7:6  

The characters in the story are under the French law, it's their chains that hold them down into a wretched grimy existence.  Because they're but flesh, they falter and there is nothing but the law to catch them and then hurl them into prison.  Poverty dehumanizes them, they must do what they must to survive-steal, sell themselves, run.  Stop right there.  Wrong is wrong, I'm not saying they're justified, but justice must be balanced with mercy.  And THAT is the main message of the film.  There is no mercy but through God.  Grace and freedom are in Him even if your circumstances don't change.  Some characters find that out, and some don't. 

Now to the battle scenes.  The people are tired of being treated like animals by the aristocrats.  Some young bloods take up the cry for freedom, proudly waving their red flags.  They're ready to lay down their lives to bring about change in their society, to win back their rights, rebel against the unjust government.  And they do just that, lay down their lives I mean.  There's no victory in the physical sense for the impoverished lower class.  That's when I was really sad in the movie, seeing man after man and even women and children tragically die at the hands of French policemen.   

Later the people who were too afraid to stand with the rebels kneel on the ground and mop up the pools of blood on the cobblestones.  

Oh and on that note, this film isn't for the kiddos, or even younger teens.  There's no glamorizing of the time period like some flicks portray.  The violence and the sexual lowness of things is not shied away from, done in a PG13 fashion.  Minimal blood, except for one scene above mentioned, romance kept on the dreamy wholesome level, but the scenes from the brothel and the sketch inn might be a turn off for some people.  I personally think it's a small price to pay to close your eyes for a minute so you're still able to watch this compelling movie.  

It's sung in a song that the colors of the world were red and black, but I say this movie's colors are red, the blood of angry men, black the dark of ages past, and white, the light of Christ's redemption.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment