Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Very Special Place


Ok, I have about 200 more pictures, but this is The Mission.  It's a place close to my heart.  This place is the NY headquarters for Generations of Virtue, but also home to a few lovely elderly ladies and a family that runs the GOV warehouse and shipping.  It's an old, rundown Catholic college, with floor upon floor of empty dorms, abandoned classrooms, mysterious nooks, prayer closets, and a beautiful old chapel.  I do believe there are secret passageways.   

That's where I'm going this weekend.  The GOV team is having a work weekend where we all come together and fix up the Mission.  They had one last Labor Day as well as this spring, and slowly the place is coming together.  A new kitchen, fresh coats of paint, an organized basement, and trimmed landscaping, everything is looking great.  I personally love the whole creaky, run down feeling the buildings have, but I'm glad the spaces are becoming more and more usable for ministry.

I have so many good memories there.  I learned to swordfight in that chapel, I learned to inventory in those garages, and I've learned how to play in a band in the prayer room.  I love to wonder the empty places, where things are so quiet you can only hear your breathing.  It's generally just an awesome place to go and be with God.  I am so excited.  I hope I get to sing harmony with a couple special girls in the chapel balcony with the daddy long legs.

That's the Mission, just thought I'd fill you in, in case you were wondering.       

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I LOVE the Mission! I am sad I didn't get enough pictures. It was funny the first time I saw the Mission. We were just pulling up and I couldn't see any part of the building yet but Tim was freaking out a bit and I was calling him crazy because he loved a building that much. But now I get it! It is so much more than just a building. Now I am going to be the crazy girl freaking out because we are going to see the Mission! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should you find yourself missionless one of these weekends, there is a house right here in Middletown that needs fixing up as well, and you might even be able to recruit *cough* inspire others there as well! :)

    Habitat for Humanity meets every Saturday and it can be a lot of hard work/fun!

    http://habitatmiddletown.org/news.php

    ReplyDelete