Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It Is Well

This week in church we sang the hymn "It Is Well", and I have always loved that song, but for some reason I found a deeper meaning in it this Sunday.    I finally understood why the writer used the term "with my soul", I mean, he could have used "with me" or "with my life", but instead he made reference to his soul. 

I realized the song isn't saying that "no matter what I will be Ok" but "No matter what I know my soul is still saved".  Telling myself that I'll be Ok, and that things will all work out is not the point, that's actually kind of denial.  Because I live in a fallen world where things aren't Ok.  But this song is saying that even if my body isn't well, or my spirit isn't well, my soul is.  Everything is well with my soul because it's bought with the price of my Savior's blood and sealed by the Holy Spirit.  The gospel makes my soul well, not circumstances.  It doesn't matter what state my body or spirit is in because that is only a fleeting moment in the scope of eternity.

It is well with my soul.  Period.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have never looked at it that way before. This makes me love my favorite hymn even more now, if that is possible. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, well said, Victoria... I am so glad it is well with my soul, too.

    ReplyDelete